Happy New Year, my friends! I don’t know about you, but I’m looking forward to what 2014 can bring. I did not party hard last night – in fact, I was in bed asleep by 9:30! In my defense, I think I’m coming down with a cold or something and I wanted to just REST. I was supposed to go to Baton Rouge with Doug to visit friends, but I felt really bad (that, and I didn’t want to get anyone else sick). So yesterday afternoon and evening was spent mostly in bed, with a little bit of sewing early in the afternoon. The good thing is that I think the hardcore rest helped to rejuvenate me, because I woke up this morning feeling MUCH better. This is good, because I have the next two days off!
As for the sewing, it’s going okay. As well as can be expected – I’ve run into a couple of snafus already. First off, my old Brother sewing machine – the one I bought in 1999 for $90, the one that is over 30 years old – finally gave up the ghost and died right as I was starting this project. I managed to get my bodice mockups made, but that was about all the old girl had left in her. Luckily, my amazing boss gave us some Christmas bonuses so I used some of that to buy a NEW sewing machine! Say hello to the Beastie:
This bad girl is UHMAYZING. She’s got a ton of stitches – basic, knit, decorative, AND A BUTTONHOLE. HOLY CRAP I CAN PUT BUTTONS ON THINGS NOW WOOOOOO. I used a piece of scrap fabric to see how everything worked, and so far so good.
I’m currently working on this Simplicity pattern:
I’m doing the design on the left hand side but I’m making the two tie-on gauntlets that are in the center image. Also, the skirt was supposed to be the split front, but will be solid like in the right image.
First, I cut my sleeve pattern out the other night and realized that I cut it the wrong way. Whoops! So that ate up some fabric that I was supposed to use for the underskirt. However, I’ve been waffling back and forth about whether I really need to do the underskirt anyway so that’s all right. I cut out the sleeves and then decided that the excess fabric would be best used as a short cape that will be attached to the gown, so I used an old Burda cape pattern to cut that piece out. I think that will turn out well.
Yesterday, I started to lay out my pattern pieces and cut out the velvet for the gown, and discovered that I bought 45″ fabric instead of 55″ fabric. OMG BIG MISTAKE ON MY PART. The main issue is that one piece of the pattern, the one labeled “Overskirt Front/Side/Back” is too big for the fabric. However, the other night when I was getting everything together, I discovered that there are TWO overskirt pieces: that one and another labeled “Overskirt Front”. Putting them together would leave you with a TON of fabric – I’m talking hoop skirts here. It’s a bit ridiculous, honestly. So, I took the Overskirt Front piece and cut out four fabric pieces from that. I started sewing the skirts last night to see if it will still fit, and it’s perfect – still drapes well.
Today, I’m going to head to Hobby Lobby to see about getting lining for the bodice. My Sofi’s Stitches gown has a really nice satin lining, and I’d like to get something like that. Alternatively, something soft AND breathable would be nice. I splurged on the fabric for this gown – 100% cotton velvet – so at least it would be somewhat breathable. (Splurging = 50% off coupons at Joann Fabrics. WHAT WHAT.)
When I get home, I’ll be sewing like a FIEND. I really want to get the gown out of the way because I have a few other items to work on for this costume. Let’s just say it won’t be JUST the renaissance gown. Eheheheheh.
The second big thing I need to undertake is cleaning out my craft room. My craft table is an unholy mess. Mainly because my steampunk/ren faire costuming boxes are all on the table instead of underneath it. Our old TV is sitting there and has been there for the better part of a year. This afternoon I’m going to get Doug to help me get it in my car and I can take it to Goodwill tomorrow morning. I have asked around and NO ONE wants a free TV. So, off to Goodwill it goes. Someone out there will certainly want it! Once that TV is gone I can move all my storage boxes back under the table and I can then move my sewing stuff back into the craft room, rather than taking up the entire kitchen table. I can also start going through my jewelry making items and maybe make a few other things for my store. I also need to make some jewelry for the costume, too.
So, that will be my next few days in a nutshell. I plan on making a lot more items this year – not just costumes, but I want to work on making more clothing, too. I also want to bone up on my jewelry making skills – I’ve let those go for far too long! So expect a lot more crafty posts this year, talking about what I’m making and showing you the processes.
I’m looking forward to challenging myself a little more in 2014!